Canada Education & Student Visa Consultants

Canada has become a booming hub for international students whose dreams include remaining in the country in which they complete their studies. No longer an overlooked global destination to earn a degree, Canada also offers a direct path to permanent citizenship – an option many international students seek. Canada has ranked as one of the top ten places to live in the world for over twenty years and boasts an education system ranked among the best.

Canada is an increasingly popular option for students who seek and require a less expensive alternative to studying internationally than they might find in the US. Canadian universities are now providing equally prestigious degrees as those in the US, often at a more affordable cost.

Canadians place a great amount of importance on learning, and standards in education in Canada are uniformly high. There are almost 100 universities in Canada, five of which—the University of Toronto, McGill University, University of British Columbia, Universities de Montréal, and University of Alberta—are ranked among the top 100 in the world.


Because Canada is such an immense country, it is extremely varied in its people, landscape, climate, and way of life. However, Canadians do share important values such as pride, a belief in equality and diversity, and respect for all individuals. International students who are considering studying in Canada will want to familiarize themselves with the culture and customs they can expect to experience.


Canada is widely regarded as one of the safest places in the world to live. However, it is still important to follow the same common sense safety precautions in Canada that you would anywhere else in the world. Read on to learn some general tips to keep you safe and well during your studies in Canada.


Students in Canada have a number of options when it comes to accommodation. Whether you’re staying on campus or living in a private residence, you will be able to find the right housing for you. This page outlines the different options that are available to international students, as well as the pros and cons of each.


After deciding to study in Canada as an international student the next step is to choose an institution.

There are a variety of great educational institutions throughout Canada, so narrowing down your list of choices can be a tough task. However, this page will provide you with information on what you should consider when choosing the right Canadian college or university for you.


The most common languages spoken in Canada are English and French. Some Colleges use one or both as their main language. Be sure that you’ll be able to study and communicate in the necessary one.

  • Type of College — Are you interested in and at the right point in your education to study at a college, university, vocational College or institute?
  • Type of College — Are you interested in and at the right point in your education to study at a college, university, vocational College or institute?
  • Type of degree — Are you planning on pursuing an associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, or Ph.D.?
  • Location — Make sure you research the area each of the Colleges on your list is located in. Are you looking for an urban, suburban, or rural location?
  • Size of College — Are you interested in a large campus or small? Big lectures or small seminars? Both have their own pros and cons, so it’s important to decide which you are most comfortable with.
  • College reputation — Make sure you spend time researching this and find out the job placement rate of graduates of each College you’re considering.
  • Quality of facilities and resources — How are the libraries, labs, and technical equipment?
  • Opportunities for work experience — Is there a cooperative (“co-op”) program, or something similar?
  • Fees and financial aid — Studying abroad can be expensive. Does the College offer grants or scholarships to help you afford your studies?
  • Faculty and staff — Research the faculty in your program. Is there anyone you particularly want to study with?
  • Accommodations for special needs — Is the College able to accommodate students with physical or learning disabilities?
  • Recreational activities — Does the College offer extracurricular activities that might interest you, such as sports, clubs, or a College newspaper?

Some of these factors may be more important to you than others. Feel free to contact us so we can customize this list to reflect what is most important to you in Canadian college.

If you’re interested in studying abroad in CANADA, you can contact us at EDI Global Education today. Our EDI specialists can help you enroll at one of the many prestigious universities in CANADA.


Above information are provided for general guideline only and always vary depends on educational institute & government policies and may not contains updated information at the time of any reader reviews. We strongly advise to follow government official website and approved sources to get latest information. Alternatively please contact us at our any of the EDI Global office or by below email to find out latest and updated information.

Contact us to know further for your Canada student enrolment and visa process

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the procedure to study in Canada?

The first step is to get admission to a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI) recognized by the government of Canada. Once an individual receives a letter of acceptance from a DLI, he or she may be able to apply for a study permit.

All new study permits are issued at a Canadian port of entry. An applicant who has submitted an application to a foreign Canadian Visa Office will be issued a letter of approval advising him or her to travel to a Canadian port of entry to have the study permit issued. A study permit is generally issued for the duration of the person’s studies.

What is the difference between study permit & temporary resident visa ?

While a study permit authorizes international students to pursue their studies while in Canada, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) allows a person to enter Canada. Depending on the country of citizenship, an international student may need a TRV for entry.
For overseas applications, applicants from countries whose citizens require TRV in order to enter Canada will be issued a TRV automatically if the application for a study permit is approved. These applicants do not need to submit a separate application for a TRV and there is no separate fee. The same applies to applicants from countries whose citizens need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to enter Canada by air.

Do I need to show proof of Funds when applying for a study permit ?

Canada study permit applicants need to prove they have sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, and financial capacity to support living expenses for the first year of study. Required minimum funds is depend on number of family members.

In general, for Single : 1 year tuition fees + $ 10,000 & for family members please add additional $ 3000 to $ 4000 every year.

Are scholarship available for international students in Canada ?

Scholarships may be available to international students from private, government or public institutions in Canada. There may be scholarships available to international students from the study institution of choice.

Do I need biometric identification for a study permit ?

Canada requires citizens of certain countries to have their biometrics (fingerprints and photographs) provided. Please refer to list of countries that require biometric identification.

What is the procedure to apply to study in Quebec ?

Applicants interested in studying in Quebec need to first apply for a Certificatd’acceptation de Quebec (Certificate of Acceptance for Quebec, or CAQ) and then apply for a study permit.

Is study permit required for the short courses ?

An applicant is not required to obtain a study permit for a program, which is less than six months in duration. However, if a course is longer than six months, the prospective student will need to apply for a study permit.

What happens next if study permit application is refused ?

If an application is refused, the individual may be able to re-apply with a new application.

Is it possible to work during study ?

An international student may be eligible to work while studying in Canada. A student must have a valid study permit and be enrolled full-time at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). Study permit holders may be allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full time during scheduled breaks. To work “on-campus” a student must meet the required criteria.

Is it possible to stay in Canada after graduation?

Canadian immigration policy offers international students many ways to stay and settle in the country after graduation. A popular option available to international students after graduation is the possibility for an open work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). Under the PGWPP, an individual who has studied full-time at a participating Designated Learning Institution (DLI) may be eligible to apply for a PGWP.

Gaining work experience in Canada after graduation may help you qualify for permanent residence in Canada through a variety of immigration available immigration programs. For more information on PGWP eligibility criteria, please visit this page. Generally, if a PGWP is issued, it is for the same duration as the applicant’s studies for a minimum of eight months and a maximum of three years.

Is a medical exam required to obtain study permit ?

An applicant may be required to undergo a medical examination based on the discretion of the visa officer.

Are police clearance is required for a study permit application ?

An applicant may need a criminal record check if he or she intends to come to Canada as a student. If required, he or she will have to obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where he or she has lived for six or more months consecutively since the age of 18. Police certificates are required to determine if applicants have a criminal record. They also help visa officers make sure applicants are not a security risk to Canada.

If student change an institution, is a new study permit required ?

If a student is transferring from one Designated Learning Institution (DLI) to another, even if it is at the same level of study, he or she must notify Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) by updating his or her online account and ensuring that the school is a DLI.

The same applies for post-secondary students changing their level of study (i.e. from a bachelor’s to master’s program). Please check the conditions listed on the study permit to verify whether the permit restricts the holder from studying at a particular institution or program.
If a student transfers to a school, college, or university in Quebec, he or she will need to apply for a Certificate of Acceptance to Quebec (CAQ) and, if necessary, a new study permit. Primary students who are entering high school, as well as high school students who will move on to post-secondary education, must apply to modify their study permit.

Can spouse be included in the application ?

A spouse or common-law partner of a valid study permit holder, who is enrolled full-time at a qualified post-secondary institution, may be eligible to apply for an open work permit. The open work permit for a spouse or common-law partner may be valid for the same period of time as the study permit, and as long as the study permit remains valid. In the study permit application, the applicant should indicate that the spouse will accompany him or her to Canada. If a spouse later decides to study in Canada, he or she should submit his or her own study permit application.

For an accompanying spouse to be considered eligible for an open work permit, the study permit holder must be enrolled full-time at a degree-granting post-secondary institution. Eligible post-secondary institutions include:

1. public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec;
2. private college-level school in Quebec; and
3. Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law.

Can dependent children accompany an international student to Canada ?

An applicant’s dependent children may accompany him or her to Canada. However, an application for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) may be required for the accompanying dependent.

Is it possible to come to Canada for pre study visit ?

Yes, a potential international student can explore Canada as a visitor before studies begin. Individuals should verify whether they need a Temporary Resident Visas (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada.

Can minor child study in Canada if he or she under the age of majority ?

Each province and territory in Canada decides the age when a person is considered an adult, also known as the age of majority. The age of majority is usually 18 or 19 years of age depending on the province or territory. There are special requirements for a minor to be to study in Canada if he or she is under the age of majority. A minor child must either come with a parent or legal guardian or have a custodian in Canada.

What is custodianship ?

A custodian is a responsible adult who is also a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is appointed to take care of and support the minor child in Canada. An immigration officer must be convinced that once the minor child travels to Canada to study he or she will have the proper care and support they need.

Unaccompanied minors wishing to obtain a study permit must appoint a custodian who will care for and support them while in Canada. To appoint a custodian, a Custodianship declaration form must be submitted with an application for a study permit. The declaration form needs to be signed by the custodian and the parents or legal guardians in the home country and certified by a lawyer or notary wherever signed.

Is it possible to apply for study permit for distance learning ?

Distance learning may be conducted through e-learning, correspondence, or online courses. Distance learning is a process that often involves a learning process by which technology is used to so that the student does not need to be physically present where the teaching is taking place. A study permit cannot be issued for a distance learning course.

However, if a distance learning program includes an in-Canada portion, and the length of the program is longer than six months then the student may receive a study permit for the in-Canada portion of the program. The duration of the study permit, however, is restricted to the duration of the in-Canada portion only.

What are immigration programme available for international students interested to settle in Canada by having permanent resident ?

Education in Canada may offer international students a route to Canadian permanent residence. There are a range of federal and provincial programs available for international students to apply for immigration, and in some cases, this can be done without a job offer. Canadian education and work experience award those who are eligible additional points in the federal Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System. Please refer government published latest information on different programs available to international graduates.

What is student partner programme (SPP) ?

The Student Partners Program (SPP) is an administrative framework developed between Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to streamline the visa application process for international students studying in Canada from India and China. For more information on SPP.