UK Education & Student Visa Consultants

The United Kingdom, a country rich in history and culture and find out how the country we know today was formed over many years through the union of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Hundreds of thousands of international students study in the UK each year, giving the UK a consistently high ranking in popularity. With a diverse population and a reputation for prestigious colleges, the UK is a natural location for international students to flock to.

And for students worldwide seeking an English-language education, what better place to study than the country that invented the language?

With an excellent higher-education system and hundreds of world-class universities, the UK promises a rich experience for international students. Our Study UK resource is intended to help you learn more about studying in the UK as an international student and includes sections on choosing the UK as a destination, choosing a location within the UK, learning more about the country, its history, and culture, and adapting to life in your adopted country.

Why Study in the UK- The UK is one of the most popular destinations in the world to study abroad, but why is it so popular – learn more about what the UK has to offer international students.

UK Education System- Recognized around the world as a world-class system, the UK’s education system is comprehensive and adaptable. This section also has vital information on how to enter programs in the UK such as GCSE, A-Levels, and degree programs.

Financial Aid for the UK- Financing an international education is the greatest barrier for most international students. This section helps students learn about sources of funds including scholarships and loans, as well as other practical financial topics like tuition costs and budgeting.

Studying/Living in the UK- What is it like to live in the UK? What is the climate like? What is the public transport system like? All these questions about the UK are answered and more, with a focus on the information that international students need most.

After Graduation-Once you have graduated, what do you do? International graduates from the UK have a variety of options from looking for work, to continuing their education in a graduate program, to returning back to their home country with their new skills and knowledge.


Depending on what program you are looking at, the entry requirements will vary for international students. Although this page will provide you with some useful information with which to arm yourself about what is needed to gain entry into UK courses, you should inquire specifically about any course that you are considering.

What you will find in common throughout all courses and schools is that you will need to show competency in the English language.

English Language- For most schools and courses, your level of understanding and competency in English will be key to your acceptance in a major program such as a degree program. You will need to make sure you have a good level of English understanding and you can do this by taking one of the following commonly accepted tests of English ability:

  •  TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language
  •  IELTS – International English Language Testing System
  •  UCLES – University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate

If you need assistance with locating an English as a Second Language school (ESL School) please see the ESL directory for a comprehensive listing of schools around the world.


Entrance to take your GCSE’s will depend very much on the school with which you are attending as you will generally need to register with a school for your GCSE education years (14 to 16 years old). Apart from the school’s requirements, the main requirement by the exams boards in the UK is that you have a good level of English ability as the exams will be taken in English – see English requirements above.


Like with GCSE’s it will be very dependent on the school you wish to attend as to what the requirements are to study A-levels there. For example, a 6th Form College may require that you have at least 5 GCSE pass grades of C or above, compare this to an independent school that may require 10 GCSE pass grades of B or above. So this will be very much dependent on the school.

You also need to consider that A-levels are a much higher level of work and so a very good understanding of the English language will be needed to work at this level. Some people say that A-levels are harder than most degrees programs as they prepare you for higher education.


As with GCSE’s you will generally not need any formal qualifications to enter a basic vocational course. Literacy skills and proficiency in the English language would be the only requirements, but again you should check with the school or institution that is running the program as they may have their own requirements.


Each course in the UK sets it own entry, so they vary considerably. Most degree programs in the UK will require that the student have passed either A-levels and attained certain grades, for example, 4 B grades, or equivalent grades in a BTEC or GNVQ. So within a university different courses will have different requirements and universities as a whole may have certain requirements that all students will have to meet. For example, the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge generally require all students to attend an interview, other universities will not require this.

Also, as an international student coming to the UK you can still attend University even though you may not have taken A-levels and have not been educated in the UK system, but you will need to contact the administrator of that program to find out what credentials from your home country you will need to provide.

So, how do you keep track of what is required for a course, and how do you apply? In the UK, this is done through the University and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS) which processes and takes all applications for university admission in the UK.

You will need to apply through UCAS and work with their program which is as follows:

  •  September 1st Applications open for the next year
  •  January 15th EU Nationals Application Deadline
  •  June 30th Main application deadline
  •  June 30th to September 30th Clearing Process
  • Applications need to be made to UCAS and you will need to make sure you gather all the information together in order to apply – this will include:
  •  Test scores and requirements the University has for international students (please check with the university you wish to attend as they will guide you on this)
  •  A personal statement
  •  A reference letter
  •  Payment to UCAS

If you’re interested in studying abroad in UK, you can contact us at EDI Global Education today. Our EDI specialists can help you enroll at one of the many prestigious universities in the UK.


The above information is provided for general guidelines only and always varies depending on educational institute & government policies and may not contain updated information at the time of any reader reviews. We strongly advise following the government official website and approved sources to get the latest information. Alternatively please contact us at any of the EDI Global offices or by below email to find out the latest and updated information.

Contact us to know further for your UK student enrolment and visa process

Frequently Asked Questions

How would I find ranking of UK based universities?

The UK does not have an official system of university rankings. Several newspapers produce rankings using a variety of sources for their data. However, these may not have had input or support from the universities themselves.

Do institutions from the UK accept 10+2+3 education system particular students from India?

Yes, 10+2+3 system is accepted by UK universities for masters programs.

Are entrance exams required for UK Universities?

Most of the courses don’t require any test as British universities accept the Indian academic marks, but a few professional courses like LLB and Medicine require tests like LNAT and UKCAT respectively. GMAT too is only required for MBA or Masters in certain universities.

How much the overseas tuition fees for the course?

Overseas fees can range from £5,000 to £18,000 per year, depending on the institution, the level of course and the type of course. Some institutions give details of the fees they charge on their websites.

Is there scholarship available ?

Scholarships are offered by UK institutions usually merit basis, the British government, a number of organizations and sometimes, your government. Note that scholarships available to international students are very limited and the competition is very intense. Most scholarships require you to write an essay on a given topic, and some may have an interview as well. Scholarships offered by most of the UK institutions are only partial and you may still need to pay the rest of the tuition fees, living and other expenses.

What are the process to get admissions specially I don’t have the grades I need to have ?

Many colleges have Pathway programmes validated by a university that allow you to prepare for a degree course. They last from six months to a year and teach you a variety of subjects, including the one you plan to study – English, study skills, research and more. They are sometimes called foundation, diploma or pre masters courses as well. These course can be studied in the UK or in respective home country as well depends on availability of those courses in respective home countries.

How student know the process of IELTS be waived to get admission to the University ?

Though IELTS can be waived sometimes by the university if the year 12 English language score is more than 70% it is better to do a language proficiency test like IELTS or PTE as the top end universities would want these scores. In some cases the university may have their own test. Eg: ARU and DMU.

Does sandwich course better than a three years UG course?

The Industrial Experience year enables you to gain relevant industrial experience as part of your studies by usually spending your third year working for a company. Besides the money that you earn during this year, you also gain practical experience that can be invaluable both in your final year project and when applying for jobs after graduating.

Can I change the Course once I reach the university ?

You can change the Course if it is in the same department at the same university. It has to be approved by the Admissions tutor.

I would like to take admission in design course, do I need require a portfolio?

Yes, design courses require a portfolio. A basic portfolio needs at least 20 pieces of work showing artistic and creative ability as well as sketching skills. This can be sent as a web link , CD or as scanned copies.

Do I need a visa to study in UK?

Entry requirements into UK depend on where you are coming from& holding nationality. For Asian countries like India, China, Nepal, Srilanka and many more needs visa to study in UK.

Can my Visa be extended?

By completion of the course if a student is able to find a job with an annual package of 21,000 pounds per annum from a company listed in the UKVI website then the Visa can be extended. Students doing a PhD get 1 year extension or starting a business can also extend their visas Tier 1.

How long does it take to get a student visa?

As long as the paperwork is in order it should take about 15 working days. Every country has different processing centres & time frames. For India, applicants in Bangalore can file a priority visa which normally takes 5 working days. It costs Rs 10,000 extra. This facility is only available in Bangalore.

Is an Interview mandatory while filing my Visa?

Yes, all the students are required to attend a credibility Interview via Skype from UKVI. The interview is designed to check whether you are a genuine student who knows details about the course going to be studied.

Can I work part time while studying? How much will I be paid?

Full time international students are allowed to work 20 hours part time during the term period and 40 hours or full time during vacations.On an average a student is paid a minimum of 7-10 pounds per hour.

What Do My Program Fees Cover?

Your program fees will cover placement in a carefully selected host family, placement in school, welcome and farewell orientations, the services of a student coordinator and excursions to places of interest. They do not cover the cost of flights or insurance.

What is the easiest way to get an internship ?

To start with you need to be a good student with good interviewing skills. Every University has a career support centre that will help with the application. The Student Union will also be helpful in most cases. If the work placement is part of the course, the course tutor will guide you and help you to apply.

How important are sports and extracurricular activities for admission to a UK university?

The academic grades are the most important criteria of admission to a British university. Sports and extracurricular activities better your profile in comparison to others, especially for scholarships, Job Interviews etc. There are a few scholarships which you will be eligible for based on the sport played.Eg: Cardiff.

Are there any deadlines for applications to British universities?

By and large British universities have a rolling admission process with no deadlines except in certain cases. At the UG level, University of Oxford and University of Cambridge have a deadline of 15 October of the year preceding the year of entry. This is also true for all the clinical courses. The PG level some universities may have deadlines, or may have to stop taking applications if there is the danger of a popular course being oversubscribed. So it is always better to apply well in time especially if you are looking at applying for programmes that are competitive or you wish to apply for scholarships.

How many hours do I need to go to class ?

Usually 15–18 hours per week are allocated for classroom teaching. Apart from that, library research, tutorials and assignments too have to be scheduled into your timetable.

What are the options to choose accommodation suitable for students ?

The most common type is Halls of residence. These are accommodation blocks where each student has their own room. Some of the newer ones have rooms that have their own toilet and shower (en suite), but usually you share the flat with other people. Self-catering halls have kitchens for about the same number of people, where you can cook your own food. Catered halls have a dining hall where you are served at least two meals a day: breakfast and dinner. Halls will have cleaners and may have a laundry for bedclothes. Bills for electricity, lighting, heating and water will be included in the rent.

How much money do I need as living expenses at general ?

We recommend that you should have minimum of £250 per month spending money. You will need to buy personal items like bus or train tickets, snacks, toiletries or credit for your mobile phone. You will probably want to go shopping or the cinema, visit some tourist attractions and buy souvenirs, which means you need enough money to pay for things like transport, entrance fees and gifts.

Will I have to pay for medical treatment in the UK ?

The National Health Service (NHS) in the UK provides free and subsidized health care to international students if their Course is over 6 months.